We left after Church on Sunday, and picked up Trevor and Charlee on the way. It was a fun drive up, and always fun to be with the whole family. It is especially fun to get to know Charlee, because she has now been in the family for over a year. Way crazy to think about. There was snow on the way up, but we made it safe and sound.
Of course, it wouldn't be a trip to Montpelier without a race on spotting the "M" on the mountain first. Trevor won, like he normally does, but I was a close second. Tara might have won had she been awake for any part of the trip.
When we pulled in to town we met up with Aunt Sis, Uncle Lynn, Timmy, and Ty at the Arctic Circle. I still remember when there wasn't an Arctic Circle in the town. Ty was a blast to play with, and it was good fun to sit and visit with the family. Tradition sure didn't let up, because we were holed up indoors for most of the weekend, watching the rain fall down. After a little while, Aunt Donna and her daughter Jonie came, and it was really fun to listen to them talk. They both thought that my dad was actually Traupa, and he looks more and more like his dad with the more weight that he looses. I loved listening to Aunt Donna talk about her childhood and her grandparents. There is so much wisdom in listening to our elders, and I love hearing about my heritage.
After a quick run to the cemetery, we went to the hotel room. Not the most exciting vacation ever, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Ty is apparently really good at playing Angry Birds, and he was very entertained. The rest of us found ways to entertain ourselves, whether going for walks, playing new card games, or watching basketball.
Monday was a lot nicer of a day. Everyone but Dad and I were pretty slow to get out of bed, but no big surprise there. After breakfast and packing up we took a ride out to the cemetery. I love the Montpelier Cemetery, because it is probably one of the most peaceful places on the planet. It was fun to sit back and listen to stories about the famous Uncle Cub, Traupa, and Grandma Eschler. When Aunt Donna and Jonie got there, I sat down in the grass and listened to stories of my family. The thing that stuck out to me the most was what a great family I come from. She told me how kind my grandpa was to her, and how he spoiled her and she deserved every bit of it. She told of how her parents were both very kind, and when Traupa went away to war, the biggest thing she remembers is her mother crying. I think one of the biggest attributes in the Eschler side of my family is that of love. There have been many generations that have passed by, but every story seems to be filled with that of love. Whether it was my dad telling me about his Uncle Willard being a kind and good man, a Patriarch of the Church, or hearing stories about how my grandma never had to open a door because my grandpa was always there to do it for her, I just had the greatest feeling that I was surrounded by loving people, who did their best to serve the Lord and their fellow man. It was an extremely neat experience to also look around at the family that was there with me. My mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, sister, cousins, aunts, uncles. Every one of them has impacted my life in some way, and every one of them has shared with me some bit of love. That is what I think of when I envision the Celestial Kingdom. There can be no joy greater than being surrounded by those you love and who love you back, unconditionally.
Traupa and Aunt Donna at Traupa's 90th? Birthday Party
Charlee, Trevor, Me, and Tara by Traupa and Grandma's Grave
Uncle Cub's Grave


No comments:
Post a Comment